The Army's Under-23 footballers have got their season up and running with a 3-2 win over United Hospitals.

The friendly fixture in Aldershot formed part of this week's training and selection process, as the side looks to build ahead of its Inter-Services campaign in the New Year.

The players were chasing their second win in two days, having beaten Army Training Centre (ATC) Pirbright 5-2 on Tuesday - and the aspiring doctors of United Hospitals provided willing opposition.

Army Under-23 football win vs United Hospitals

The Army youngsters were soon in the goals again as Sam Goulden was put clear to steer the ball home for a neat finish inside the opening 10 minutes.

The military men quickly doubled their advantage as the visitors failed to clear from a corner, Jason Barnes from the Royal Artillery tapping home from close range.

Having lacked bite in last season's all-important Inter-Services campaign, the Army appeared to have re-discovered their attacking flair.

Another goal against the medical men just before the break saw them cruise into a 3-0 lead, with Darren Humphries beating the visiting keeper from a few yards after Barnes' neat lay-off.

Army Under-23 football win vs United Hospitals

But the defensive frailties from last year slowly crept back into the Army's game, as they they lost some cohesion going forward having made substitutions made at half-time.

Replacement keeper Jamie Woodall was forced into action to deny Johnny Ngomo -  but the energetic striker was brought down just inside the area and the referee awarded a penalty.

Despite Woodall's best efforts between the posts, he couldn't keep out Tony Pollache's spot kick as the visitors grabbed a goal back.

The home side then had the chance to put the result to bed when they too were awarded a penalty.

Army Under-23 football win vs United Hospitals

Jo Berry took out the primed Oli Roberts - but Roberts failed to convert the opportunity. A nervy conclusion ensued as United Hospitals piled on the pressure.

Ngomo was rewarded when he flicked home a corner for United to reduce the Army's advantage further. Luckily for them, though, they were able to hold on for a 3-2 victory.

It left head coach Captain Paul Dale delighted. He said he was "thoroughly pleased" with the team's "fantastic" peformance, as well as the standard of the opposition, adding: "We'll do that again".

The match should set the Army side in good stead ahead of facing tough opposition in the coming weeks, including the young stars of League One side Doncaster Rovers.

More: Defeat For RAF Policemen In Last Kick Of Hard-Fought Contest