Rugby League

Women's Challenge Cup: Army And RAF Through To Second Round

The Air Force beat Leigh Miners Rangers 28-18, while the Army secured a 34-12 home victory over Huddersfield Giants.

Both the Army and RAF rugby league sides are through to the second round of the Women's Challenge Cup.

The Air Force beat Leigh Miners Rangers 28-18 to set up a home tie with Bradford Bulls, while the Army booked their place in round two with a 34-12 home victory over Huddersfield Giants.

Last season the Army reached the quarter-finals of the Women's Challenge Cup before losing to eventual tournament champions Leeds Rhinos.

Kicking off their first fixture of the season, the Army started well against Huddersfield Giants when Carrie Roberts crashed over for an unconverted try with ten minutes played.

Giants quickly hit back, however, with Bethan Oates to dive in for a converted score to snatch a 6-4 lead. 

The military side regained their lead when Jess McAuley-Roberts blew away would-be tacklers to dash home for the Army's second try putting them 8-6 up.

A third try for the Army just before half-time gave them control going into the break. Matilda Butler weaved her way under the posts for a converted try, extending the advantage 14-6.

Both sides squandered chances to score after the restart, but Giants exploited some defensive frailties in the Army ranks allowing Jamie Scott to canter under the sticks for a converted try.

That would be the last time Huddersfield troubled the scoreboard, as the Army dominated the rest of the game.

Full-back Abigail Eatock went on a long range surge from deep in her own half before dotting down and taking a well earned breather.

McAuley-Roberts was then on hand to finish off fine work inside to cut loose for her second try of the match. 

Then, Eatock displayed her willingness to run from distance ghosting past the visitors once more before cruising in to seal her brace of tries.

By the time Huddersfield conceded a seventh try the Army were purring along nicely.

It was left toe McAuley-Roberts to claim her hat-trick of tries as the Army booked their place in round two of the Cup with a game against Wigan Warriors.

The home tie will be played at the end of the month.