Rugby League

Challenge Cup: Royal Navy reach round two for first time in seven years

They beat the Bridgend Blue Bulls 60-0 in South Wales.

The Royal Navy have made it to round two of the Challenge Cup for the first time in seven years after demolishing Bridgend Blue Bulls 60-0 in Pyle, South Wales.

They produced 11 tries without reply.

It was a remarkable win for the Band of Brothers, playing only their second match in 20 months, and destroying the Welsh Premiership Champions. 

The match was effectively over by half-time, the Navy scoring seven tries. 

The first James Tilley, a new arrival from St Helens, showing all his class at Scrum half, creating the opportunity set up by Danny Dainty with Kini Dakuliga going over for the first score.  

Daz Bamford on target with the boot as he would be eight times in the match, no wonder he was smiling! 

The Navy elected to go down the middle taking on their opponents and it worked a treat, Tilley again at the centre of things with Jack Bartlett taking advantage, barging his way to score 

And the third try was down to Tilley carving his way through for Danny Johnson to score the first of his two tries  

And Tilley was at it again for the fourth almost a carbon copy, but this time captain Ben Taylor gleefully accepting the opportunity. 

Three more tries followed before the break, for James Parry. 

And a lovely cross move from the brothers with Dakuliga getting his second try. 

And Daz Bamford a try which he also converted – the lead 38-0 at the break. 

At times the Navy had to defend and it became almost as important to keep the hosts out as it did to score, but more tries followed. 

Debutant Matt Gaskell getting his first try. 

Joey Sugden completing an excellent move.

Gaskell again going over for a memorable debut. 

And the final try, a second score for Danny Johnson. 

The Navy producing a superb team performance to go marching into round two.

Head Coach Chief Petty Officer Steve Lockton told Forces News: "We pushed on and we played a really hard Welsh team, let's not look at the score and think that it was easy for us. They're a talented side.

"The icing on the cake is a zero against a good side with a really good set of half backs."


The Army also had good news, winning 18-10 to Orrell St James in the first round.

They previously reached the fourth round in 2020 before defeat to Rochdale Hornets.