German Footballers Victorious In Both Games Of Remembrance Matches

Both the men's and women's Army sides lost to the Bundeswehr in Nottingham.

Both the men's and women's British Army football sides lost to the German Bundeswehr in two Games of Remembrance matches in Nottingham.

In the early game, the German women won 2-1 at Notts County’s Meadow Lane.

The Bundeswehr took the lead midway through the first half and went in 1-0 up at the break.

The visitors could have added a second, but a save from Jessica Hawley kept the deficit to one.

Games of Remembrance Walk Onto Pitch 091118 CREDIT BFBS
Local school children escorted the players onto the pitch.

During the second half, the Army could have levelled when they had a corner cleared, but the Germans got the eventual winner soon after.

Olivia Dickson did score a consolation effort for the Army at the end, but the Army could not score a leveller in the remaining stoppage time.

“We took away some real positives,” said Warrant Officer Mags McAteer, the Army's Head Coach.

“Just Horsley the goalkeeper, great performance!

"I think the Germans are a very well organised, athletic side and we see that across all spectrums of football… I think the girls did themselves proud."

Games of Remembrance German Players Celebrate 091118 CREDIT BFBS
German players celebrate after scoring.

Team Captain, Lance Corporal Kelly Aldridge, the score might have been a disappointment, but the support made the event special: 

“I don’t know the numbers, but this is probably the most I’ve played in front of,” she told Forces News.

"And the noise! I mean these kids that have come from all the schools around the area today have been absolutely brilliant.”

The Army men also lost against the Germans, this match being played at the City Ground

It was a similar story in the men's fixture, with the Bundeswehr running out 3-1 winners in front of more than 6,000 spectators at Nottingham Forest's City Ground.

In a ten-minute spell, the Germans scored three times - Alex Hess, Eric Schaaf and Yannick Wolf on the scoresheet.

On half-time, the Army got their goal through team captain Corporal Rob Farkins.

He headed in Sam Atkinson's freekick to leave them 3-1 down at the break.

Despite several good chances in the second half, the Army were unable to peg back the Germans, leaving the visitors as winners across the two Games of Remembrance matches.