RAF Marham Reach Cup Final After Nine-Goal Thriller

The 5-4 win over RAF Coningsby was the first RAF football match since the start of the coronavirus pandemic.

RAF Marham edged a 5-4 thriller away at RAF Coningsby to reach the final of the Royal Air Force FA Cup.

The match was the first to be played in the service since the start of the coronavirus pandemic.

In the last fixture between these two teams, it was RAF Coningsby who came out on top with a 9-0 thumping.

This time, RAF Marham made the perfect start when they took the lead inside eight minutes.

Daniel Earl took advantage of a defensive mix-up to score his first of the match.

The hosts were not behind for long. Josh Brayson's determined pressing allowed him a golden opportunity to slot past the RAF Marham goalkeeper, which he took.

In an eventful first half, both sides continued to push forward but it was RAF Marham who led 2-1 at the break.

A great pass from Earl split the RAF Coningsby defence wide open and Tarren Moxon’s tidy finish put them in front at half-time.

RAF Coningsby vs RAF Marham 020920 CREDIT BFBS

RAF Coningsby would have been hoping for fast start in the second half, but they were further behind after just eight seconds.

Earl used his pace to latch on to a long ball before putting it on a plate for substitute Liam Welsh to score with his first touch.

The home side were stunned and conceded a penalty moments later.

Earl again got free before being tripped by the RAF Coningsby goalkeeper.

Martyn Williams stepped up to score and RAF Marham led 4-1.

It was soon five though.

RAF Coningsby's defensive work let them down again as Earl found space and rattled in his second of the match.

It looked comfortable for the visitors at that point, but RAF Coningsby were not giving up hope.

James Fountain pulled one back with a well-taken finish before a quick corner allowed Sean Taylor to reduce the deficit.

Brayson had a great chance to score with just minutes to go. A great cross from the right allowed him space from five yards out, but he mis-kicked his shot to the disappointment of the home bench.

He made up for it though with a stunning goal to make it 5-4.

The ball bounced free in the RAF Marham penalty area and Brayson spun nicely to rifle into the top corner.

RAF Coningsby had a late penalty shout waived away, but couldn't force extra time.

RAF Marham are into the final, but still don't know who they will play as RAF Akrotiri's semi-final match could be forfeited due to travel issues.