Football: RAF Coningsby Beat RAF Shawbury To Reach Cup Semi-Final

A 4-2 win in Shropshire set up a repeat of last year's Coningsby vs RAF Marham thriller in the semi-finals.

RAF Coningsby have booked their place in the semi-final of the RAF Cup with a 4-2 win away at RAF Shawbury.

The four-time winners were in a confident mood and raced into a 4-0 lead through goals from Neil Speck, Jack Debnam and a double from Oliver Walker.

Shawbury pulled two goals back thanks to Harry Hewson and a David Webb penalty, but a suspected broken shin saw their goalkeeper leave the field in the back of an ambulance.

Coningsby were dumped out of last year's competition by RAF Marham in a nine-goal thriller and will get their chance at revenge at the same stage this year.

They started well in Shropshire as Speck broke away from two defenders and rifled in a shot from distance that flew in off the far post.

Shawbury's defence was muddled from the start and Debnam took advantage to double the lead inside 15 minutes with a well-taken lob.

The home side's best chance of a lively first half fell to centre-back Jonathon Watson but he fired wildly over from close range.

Jordan Watts tried to extend Coningsby's lead but his ferocious left-footed drive thumped struck the back post.

Shawbury started the second half in the same way as the first – by conceding two goals.

RAF Shawbury goalkeeper Tim Salinger left the field in the back of an ambulance with a suspected broken shin.

Debnam's determination to nick the ball off a defender paid off as he set up Walker for an easy tap in.

Minutes later, it was 4-0 to the Lincolnshire-based team.

Walker grabbed his second when his clever flick from a cross beat Shawbury keeper Tim Salinger.

It was a long way back for Shawbury, but they gave it a good go.

Hewson pulled one back with a tidy finish before Watson was pulled down in the six-yard box.

That gave Webb, who leads the line for the RAF senior team, the chance to make it 4-2 from the penalty spot – which he took.

Shawbury's momentum was halted in the final minutes, though.

Salinger's collision with Speck left the goalkeeper down and calling for an ambulance.

He left the field on his way to hospital with a suspected broken shin.

After more than a 30-minute delay due to the injury, the game restarted but full-time came without incident.

The 4-2 victory means Coningsby are into the semi-final and will face Marham, who beat RAF Benson in their quarter-final.

The other results on the day saw RAF Boulmer beat RAF Northolt and RAF Honington thrash RAF Waddington.

The Coningsby-Marham and Boulmer-Honington semi-final clashes are scheduled to be played on Wednesday 16 June.