Navy women sink the Army in impressive Inter Services comeback

Watch: The Navy beat the Army in a thrilling 7 goal match in Aldershot

The Navy women have beaten the Army 2-5 in Aldershot in an impressive comeback performance following a disappointing Inter Services opener against the RAF last week.

With a hat-trick by the Navy's Jade Widdows and a brace by the Army's Imogen Fisher, the second week of the Inter Services provided an action-packed game at The EBB Stadium, the home of Aldershot Town FC. 

The Navy's performance proved even more impressive with Katie Shorter and Nat Bavister also getting their names on the scoreboard. 

The Navy got off the blocks as they did against the RAF the week before, in full attack mode they set out to frustrate the Army in the early stages of the game. 

It didn't take long for the Navy's efforts to come to fruition after Katie Shorter got the Navy's first goal of the game to put the visitors up 0-1. 

Keen to build momentum the Army tried to get themselves on the right footing, but a tackle by their goalkeeper Daisy Burnfield on the Navy's Jade Widdows awarded the Navy a penalty kick. 

After being tackled to the ground, Widdows was on hand to take the penalty for the Navy and takes it successfully to give the Navy a 0-2 lead. 

The Navy was on a role and moments later, a corner kick by Nat Bavister found its way into the net to give the Navy it's third goal of the game in the first half, spreading themselves away from the Army with a 0-3 lead. 

In a disastrous first half by that point, the Army needed to dig deep to get their game back on track, and it would be Imogen Fisher who would step up to the plate and get the Army's first goal of the game before half-time, putting the Army on the scoreboard at 1-3.  

In the second half the Army came back looking to close the gap against the Navy and change the narrative of the game. 

The Army had an early setback as Jade Widdows scored her second goal of the game to extend the Navy's lead to 1-4.

After a few misses, the Army began to find their rhythm and after Krissy Wright kicked the ball long and into the box, Imogen Fisher was well positioned to score her second goal of the game to begin once again to bridge the gap between the Army and the Navy, bringing the reds up to 2-4. 

After several missed opportunities from both sides, the game entered six minutes of stoppage time.

In the nick of time, after a missed opportunity moments before, Jade Widdows came through once again and scored a hat-trick just before the final whistle to put the game to bed and giving the Navy their three-goal lead back at 2-5. 

As the final whistle sounded, the Navy have staged an impressive comeback match after their disappointing performance against the RAF a week ago to beat the Army 2-5 in Aldershot. 

The Navy's win could well have positioned themselves well to win the Inter Services, which depends on how the RAF perform against the Army in Leek Town FC next week. 

Related topics

Join Our Newsletter


Johnny Mercer praises wounded veterans competing at Veteran Games

MOD investigation after veteran says she was mocked by soldiers over her medals

Ukraine and Russia in escalating race for drone warfare domination