Army Score Stunning Goal In Basingstoke Thrashing

Midfielder Matty Glass scored the opening goal as the Forces team ran out 4-0 winners at Winklebury.

Matty Glass scored the pick of the goals as the Army men's football team cruised past non-league Basingstoke Town.

A 4-0 win at Winklebury meant that men in red have gained vital momentum ahead of March's Inter Services Championships.

Glass opened the scoring before Callum Wilkson scored twice and Jamie Turner struck on his debut for the senior team.

There were plenty of chances for the Army in a lively opening 20 minutes.

Lee McCombie failed to convert Kyle Cassell’s pull-back with the ball deflected wide for a corner.

The Army pressure did pay off with the opening goal.

Glass picked the ball up 30 yards out and with a clever drop of the shoulder, he set himself up for a shot on his favoured right foot.

The strike was perfectly curled into the top corner leaving the Basingstoke goalkeeper with no chance of keeping it out.

Minutes later, Cassell managed to nip past the goalkeeper and could have crossed for Wilkinson to score.

Instead, the winger flashed a hopeful shot well off-target from a difficult angle.

Jamie Turner's debut goal will have pushed him into minds of the management team ahead of March's Inter Services.

In the second half, the Army received a scare when Basingstoke put the ball in the back of the net.

Fortunately for goalkeeper Josh Ollerenshaw, the linesman’s flag ruled out the effort for offside.

It proved to be an important moment, as the Army then scored two goals in as many minutes to take control of the match.

Wilkson’s first goal was a well-worked set-piece routine.

A lofted cross was headed down towards the penalty spot and the dangerous strike pounced to finish it off.

There was then a nice moment for Turner, the forward who has received a call-up to the senior set-up from the U23s, when he took his chance to fire home from six yards out.

The Army continued to create chances with Cassell forcing a save from a free-kick, but it was Wilkinson who had the final word.

A swift turn left the Basingstoke defender in his tracks and Wilkinson’s left-footed finish was powered into the bottom corner.

It was a well-taken goal to match off a polished Army performance.

They are planning one more friendly fixture in Aldershot before the Inter Services begin in March.