RAF Police vs South Wales Police

Defeat For RAF Policemen In Last Kick Of Hard-Fought Contest

The RAF Police's rugby union players have come within a whisker of victory in a thrilling contest against South Wales Police...

RAF Police vs South Wales Police

The RAF Police's rugby union players have come within a whisker of victory in a thrilling contest against South Wales Police.

Early pressure from the bigger home side quickly got results at a rain-sodden Cardiff Arms Park, with the Welshmen notching a try on the 10-minute mark.

But after a failed conversion, the RAFP bounced right back.

The RAFP made bold forays despite ball handling being difficult as rain became torrential, with No 15 Corporal Callum Macmillan right in the thick of things.

The half ended with South Wales Police leading 5-0. They were quick out of the blocks after the interval though, almost immediately extending their lead with another try which they converted.

RAF Police vs South Wales Police

The RAFP bounced back with a great run by Macmillan. The rain came down heavier but still the Snowdrops showed drive and guts.

After RAFP No 8 Corporal Andy Melbourne was brought down just yards from the SWP try line, the RAF men were awarded a penalty which No 12, Acting Corporal Jack Lowe, duly slotted over bringing the score to 12-3.

This heralded a fierce RAFP fightback, which saw them win a scrum five yards from the South Wales Police line. The pressure paid off when big RAF forward Andy Melbourne stormed over for a try.

Despite Lowe missing out on the conversion, the Welsh were kept on the back foot and with the score 12-8 the RAFP sensed the game was theirs for the taking.

Continued RAFP pressure paid off again when Lowe went over for a try. He duly converted and took the 'Flying Pigs' into the lead with the score at 12-15.

Cardiff Arms Park & Millennium Stadium
The 12,000-capacity Cardiff Arms Park is situated next to the Milennium Stadium

But the Welsh were not done yet. Minutes later, their big No 12 scythed through the RAFP defences to score in the far corner. The kick was just wide but they pulled ahead again, bringing the score to 17-15.

With just minutes left on the clock, the RAF again pushed forward and won a penalty, which Lowe coolly kicked home. With the score 17-18, they were ahead again, but the day was not yet done.

The Welsh police punted the ball into the RAF half as the seconds ticked away, but before the ref blew for time they were awarded a penalty and with the very last kick of the game South Wales Police went for the kick and took the spoils, the final score 20-18.

RAFP team captain Corporal Callum Hales praised a "gritty performance" from the Snowdrops, adding: 

"They contained us for the first half, but in the second half they realised they were playing a good team and they panicked."

"We played a controlled game in really poor conditions and really pulled together - like we do in the military. I was really pleased with the way we played tonight."

Victorious captain, Inspector Paul Crowley of South Wales Police, said he was delighted to win a "hard-fought" contest, adding:

"We wanted to break their game up and for the first half it worked, but later in the second half they upped their game and we were on the back foot."

The police inspector also praised the spirit the game was played in, saying it was a "fantastic occasion".

More: The Bayonet Charge That Foiled The Taliban