Army v Navy Cracker: Reds Take Back Inter Services Crown

The British Army have beaten the Royal Navy to reclaim the inter-services title...

It was a 100th Army vs Navy match to savour for the boys in red. 

They got the better of a stubborn Royal Navy in front of a full house at the home of rugby, Twickenham stadium. 

Despite both teams scoring the same number of tries, the boot of the Army fly half, James Dixon kept the scoreboard ticking over for the reds.

The Royal Navy rallied at the beginning of the second half and pulled a try back but it wasn't enough to stop a very strong Army side dominating the contest.

Cath Brazier, Forces Sport reporter said:

'The Army came here as favourites but were mindful of how the Royal Navy came back at them last year. 

But the men in red led from the off and their playmakers made the most of not very much space to put three tries past the senior service. 

The Royal Navy did not make it easy for them. Even when they went a man down just before half time when scrum half Gareth Rees was sin-binned... their defence was solid.

But in the end the Army points accumulated and they are 2017 winners, 29-20."

As always the atmosphere around Twickenham all day was incredible. 

Service personnel from both branches of the military descended on the capital to cheer on the two teams in an array of fancy dress.

81,577 fans were in full voice throughout the contest, and the first big cheer came from those wearing red as Army, Glasgow Warriors and Scotland man, Junior Bulumakau swallow dived in to the corner. 

Just over 10 minutes before half time the Navy were down to 14 men.

Gareth Rees was sin-binned for foul play, after stamping on an opponent during a ruck.

A couple of conversions from the Army meant the half ended 11-3 to the Army. 

The Royal Navy rallied at the start of the second half, but it was the Army who scored first. 

The TMO was needed as Chris Leathem went over in the corner. But the video referee could see no reason not to award the try.

But after 10 minutes of the second half the Royal Navy got their reward for some good pressure.

Army captain Rob Lennox with man of the match Junior Bulumakau
Army captain Rob Lennox with man of the match Junior Bulumakau

The referee needed some video assistance once more as captain Ben Priddey dived over the line from close range. The conversion from Rees made it 16-10.

It wasn't that close for long, though, as Junior Bulumakau hooked up with Semesa Rokoduguni to run in his second try. 

A few more penalties from the British Army and the boys in red stretched in to an almost unassailable lead. 

However, the Royal Navy weren't quite finished yet. Seta Raumakita pulled the scores back to within two converted tries. 

They then went over again, the TMO deciding that Dave Fairbrother had spun and landed over the line. 

But unfortunately for the boys in blue, it was too late. 

The Army are Inter-Services Champions once again, running out 29-20 winners.