42 Commando Royal Marines Win 2018 Royal Navy Football Final

They beat HMS Collingwood on Tuesday evening...

42 Commando Royal Marines' footballers have won the 2018 Royal Navy final.

They beat HMS Collingwood 2-0 at RNAS Yeovilton on Tuesday evening.

The Navy cup has been largely the domain of Royal Marines units for the past decade, although it's 16 years since 42 Commando last won it.

UK Forces Soar To Victory Against Irish Rivals

HMS Collingwood had the better of the early exchanges in a final which was switched at short notice to Yeovilton, marshalled by the wily Phil Archibold, who was playing in his first Navy Cup final at the age of 40.

They looked especially dangerous down the left flank, but on the half hour and against the run of the play the Marines took the lead.

Team captain Travis Mackie fed the ball to Keston Serrette, whose shot deceived everyone to roll into the net.

Collingwood tried to muster an instant response through captain Jake Batizovsky but his effort was too close to keeper Steve Cross.

The second goal came just before half-time. A free kick on the edge of the box from centre-back Danm Boere was parried by Ant Bevans onto the head of Steven Babington who couldn't miss... tightening the red and yellows' grip on the cup.

42 Commando Royal Marines Win The 2018 Royal Navy Football Final

After the break, Collingwood's players tried everything they could to get back into the game.

Striker Keiran Reilley was brought on for full-back Dan Kirsopp and but for some fine goalkeeping from Steve Cross and a host of missed chances, Collingwood would have clawed their way back into the final.

They were always susceptible on the break, however and 42 hit the woodwork twice, with George Sigamoney unlucky to see his brilliant attempt rattle the crossbar before the rebound was almost turned in.

Ultimately it was 42 Commando, who've hardly played together all season because of their re-rolling commitments, who held out to win the game 2-0.

It was a proud moment for the Royal Marines team, who lifted one of the oldest trophies in military sport and once again ensured it stayed with the Corps.