1 YORKS Keep The Army FA Challenge Cup In Nail-Biting Match

Both 1 YORKS and RSME brought their best game to Aldershot...

Both 1 YORKS and RSME brought their best game to Aldershot for the final of the Army FA Challenge Cup.

There was a cagey opening to the 118th Army Football Association Challenge Cup final which saw both teams look to gain an advantage where possible.

However, Craig Holloway from 3 RSME was an early visitor into the referee's book after it was deemed he took a dive following close attention from 1 YORKS defender Stevie Rowe and keeper Joe Jones.

In terms of player pedigree, there were a number of the Army team on duty for their units. It was Army senior player Dan Stoneman who had the first real chance to score.

1 YORKS Keep The Army FA Challenge Cup In Nailbiting Match

He looked odds-on to give the Sappers the lead but failed to pick his spot as Jones denied him with his feet.

Teammate Harry Stephenson showed a nice moment of skill as 3 RSME kept up the pressure before putting his cross wildly wide and 1 Yorks were able to break clear.

Warminster based Yorks were hoping to retain the title they won last year and made sure the engineers remained alert at the back.

But in an open contest, it appeared the men in red were creating the better chances as Stoneman again forced a save out of Jones.

As the first half came to a close Jones was easily the busier of the two keepers as he comfortably gathered Stephenson's shot.

The Sappers continued to take the game to the cup holders after the break and within minutes of the restart, they'd snatched the lead.

1 YORKS Keep The Army FA Challenge Cup In Nailbiting Match

McCombie dug out Stoneman's cut back and the Royal School of Military Engineering were in front.

Stoneman was a continued threat and as 1 YORKS looked to clear their lines Jones was called into action punching away Justin Dolly's volley.

At the other end, Eric Dosa started to wave his way past would be defenders for 1 YORKS. Marcus Barnes thought he'd slotted in the equaliser but celebrations were short-lived.

The scourge of many a centre-forward, the offside flag had intervened and it remained 1-0.

The pace of Dosa was causing panic at the back for the Sappers and McCombie almost put the ball into his own net.

Having survived one or two near misses 3 RSME went in search of their second goal. Stoneman plucked out Steve Richards, but the Sergeant's shot failed to beat the keeper.

Perhaps the turning point of the match came with just over a quarter of an hour to go.

Stoneman so reliable in front of goal missed two chances to put the game beyond his opponents.

Boosted by that let-off within minutes 1 YORKS had equalised. Luke McLaren's surging run ended with Ross Amner's sweet strike and instead of being two down they found themselves back on track for the trophy.

The turn around was complete with just a minute left as Darren Clark burst upfield.

The skipper picked out Amner who crossed for Barnes to slot home the winner.

Heartbreak for 3 RSME but 1 YORKS had recorded back to back cup success.