Army

MOD denies claims Army set to slash hundreds of jobs

The statement came as the Mail on Sunday reported that jobs would be cut despite £16.5bn pledged in extra defence spending.

The Ministry of Defence (MOD) has denied claims it will be cutting jobs after a report allegedly leaked to the media suggested hundreds of jobs are at risk for soldiers in backroom roles.

The Mail on Sunday has reported that a major job-cutting review is under way in the Adjutant General Corps that would see the number of soldiers working in the 3,000-strong Staff and Personnel Support (SPS) cut by 15%.

It’s reported that as many as 450 jobs could be lost, as well as a further 12 positions from the so-called Gurkha Clerks, who are deployed alongside frontline Gurkha units.

In a statement released by the MOD, an Army spokesperson denied rumours of any planned redundancies.

Boris Johnson 051020 CREDIT PA
Prime Minister Boris Johnson had hailed a new four-year funding deal last month (Picture: PA).

The statement said: “The Army Personnel Administration Capability Review was launched in June and its initial report will be delivered late in 2021, no redundancies will be made.

“No decisions have been made as a result of the review, which is ongoing.”

The claims in the newspaper report come after Prime Minister Boris Johnson hailed a new four-year funding deal for the services last month.

Promising an extra £16.5bn for spending on Britain’s defence budget the Prime Minister said: “I have decided that the era of cutting our defence budget must end, and it ends now.”

Assuming the human resources responsibilities, the SPS branch is responsible for the personnel files and the pay and allowances of its soldiers.

Up to 20 SPS troops are attached to each unit in the Army and all members can be deployed in combat.