SAS Veteran Bob Curry
Army

Defence Secretary Joins Call To Find Permanent Home For SAS Veteran

After serving as a Special Forces sergeant, Bob Curry claims he has been left without somewhere to live, after Herefordshire County Council...

SAS Veteran Bob Curry

Picture: Bob Curry (from Change.org petition)

The Defence Secretary Gavin Williamson has stepped in to help the plight of a homeless SAS veteran who was hailed for his role in the Iranian Embassy siege of 1980.

After serving as a Special Forces sergeant, Bob Curry claims he has been left without somewhere to live due to Herefordshire County Council failing to find him housing.

Last week fellow former SAS soldier Andy McNab launched an online petition to help find a home for Mr Curry, that so far has gained more than 260,000 signatures. 

Speaking to the Sun on Sunday, Mr Williamson said: "His case needs to be treated as a high priority so a suitable home is found immediately.

"We expect all councils to support troops and veterans, and that they meet their commitments under the Armed Forces Covenant."

"I have written to the council and asked that more be done to help Mr Curry."

In a statement, Herefordshire Council said it was continuing to work with Mr Curry to help him "secure appropriate housing".

"Unfortunately, to date the individual has not provided all the documentation needed to legally register for housing". 

"However, regardless of this, the council's housing team has found and offered two different forms of accommodation, in areas which were agreeable to the individual but which have subsequently been turned down."

Mr Curry was part of the team that brought the six-day siege to an end after a group of six men stormed the embassy and took 26 people hostage.

The former Special Forces sergeant and Falklands veteran served with the British Army and SAS for 17 years before working as a close protection officer for Princess Diana. 

The 64-year-old said he is now living in a bed and breakfast after he split up with his partner of 25 years and his business collapsed last year.

He said he was told by Herefordshire Council to fill in forms for a council house in November but is still waiting to hear if he meets the criteria, The Sun reported.