Here are some facts about the Challenger 2 -
1. The Challenger 2 has a 1200bhp Perkins-Condor cv12 diesel engine and can travel up to 37 MPH.
2. The vehicle is equipped with a L30 120mm rifled tank gun, firing both long rod penetrator and High Explosive Squash Head (HESH) ammunition.
3. Its thermal observation and gunnery displays a magnified image for the commander and gunner.
4. Its primary role is to destroy or neutralise armour. It can also engage hard and soft targets and can operate in high intensity conflict, counter insurgency and peace keeping roles.
5.The Challenger 2 is 2.5 meters in height. That's over 2 feet taller than the average UK man.
6. It weighs in at 62,500kg. That's equivalent to 38 Polos.
7. Only 5% of Challenger 2 components are interchangeable with the Challenger 1.
8. It can create a smoke screen by the injection of diesel fuel into the engine exhausts.
9. The latest model of the Challenger 2 has been extensively trialled in Greece, Qatar and Saudi Arabia.
10. Although the hull and automotive parts of the Challenger 2 are based on its predecessor the Challenger 1, the latest model incorporates over 150 improvements.