About the BFBS Radio Player
The BFBS Radio Player uses two different media players on the web to deliver BFBS content - a Flash Player and an HTML5 Player.
The Flash Player is the original player for BFBS content, but requires the Flash plugin for your browser in order to work.
The HTML5 Player is a newer player designed to work without the need for the Flash plugin on most modern browsers.
Your browser typically selects the most appropriate for the device you are using, but the version selected depends upon a number of factors including:
- Device (mobile, tablet, PC/Mac)
- Operating System (Windows, Android, iOS, MacOS)
- Operating System version
- Web browser (Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer)
- Web browser version
- Presence of Flash plugin
Can't stream audio via the BFBS Radio Player?
You may see a "Sound of Silence" error screen (illustrated below) when trying to stream audio via the BFBS Radio Player.
There are several reasons why you may see this error:
- You do not have the Flash Player plugin installed on your machine or in your web browser
- You are using an old version of a web browser with limited support for playing back audio streams
- Your operating system does not support the playback of audio streams used by the Radio Player.
To resolve the problem try the following:
- Ensure your web browser (Chrome, Internet Explorer, Firefox, Edge etc.) is up to date. If there is an update available try installing the update and using the Radio Player again. Alternatively, download a fresh copy of the web browser and try re-installing it.
- Check whether you have the Flash Player plugin installed on your machine. You can install the latest version of the Flash Player from the Adobe website.