The Gurkha Everest Expedition is back on. Gurkha soldiers were the first Sherpas, and yet no serving Gurkha has ever summited Everest before. This expedition will attempt to remedy that.

The 2015 attempt to put a serving Gurkha soldier on the summit of the world’s highest mountain ended in tragedy when a huge 8.1 magnitude earthquake struck.

The Gurkha200 team, led by Major Andrew Todd MBE, all survived that treacherous day, but 22 other climbers on the mountain weren't so lucky.

This marked the deadliest day Mount Everest has ever seen. The families of Major Todd's soldiers are still rebuilding their houses two years on. He said:

"Nepal is still under reconstruction... it's on it's feet, tourism is back in the country but it's still got some way to go"

*UPDATE 6th May 2017* 85-year-old Gurkha Mr Minbahadur Sherchan, who was attempting to become the oldest person to climb Mount Everest, has died.

Minbahadur Sherchan was trying to regain the record title from Japan's Yuichiro Miura, who climbed Everest aged 80 in 2013.

He died peacefully at the base camp on Saturday evening. An official statement from the Gurkha Everest Expedition team said:

"Yesterday, at 17:14, he died very peacefully in our camp and in the arms of Gurkha soldiers from the Everest team. We laid him to rest in a tent on the flanks of the Khumbu Icefall and next to our camp before his repatriation this morning. He was at peace on a mountain that he so loved and among the camaraderie and spirit of Gurkha soldiers."

More from Forces News > 85-Year-Old Gurkha Dies Attempting Record Everest Climb

Above is spectacular footage of the Gurkha Everest Expedition's first acclimatization rotation on Mount Everest.

Richard Hatch and Verity Geere have been speaking to Andrew on Sat-phone, first from Everest Base Camp (top) and most recently from Camp Two.

You can also follow the teams progress on Twitter - @gurkhaeverest17

Pictures: ©

Listen to Forces Radio BFBS on FM, online or via the free app etc... Apple > or Android >