Stuck in a rut, thinking about resettlement or just wanting to advance your career?
There are already 1,500 service personnel and their dependents taking advantage of more than 200 different qualifications and courses by studying with the OU - what’s stopping you?
Here, the Open University explains how studying while serving your country could work for you.
I Don’t Have The Time To Study
Serving your country doesn’t stop you from expanding your horizons.
Our flexible distance-style learning means that you can study whenever, wherever and however you like.
- Use your laptop, tablet and smartphone to access all of your learning material on the go - regardless of where you’re stationed;
- Adapt your study schedule around your existing commitments, shifts and postings to learn at a pace that suits you; and
- Put your downtime to good use with practical, interactive and engaging learning content.
“Studying with the OU was flexible, manageable and interesting, exactly what I was looking for.” Flight Lt James Coulman.
I Can’t Afford A Qualification
The cost of enhancing your education shouldn’t be prohibitive - especially not for service personnel. That’s why you can take advantage of:
- The MOD’s Enhanced Learning Credits (ELC) to contribute towards your personal and career development - you’ve earnt them, use them;
- The Open University’s (OU) flexible payment options, financial support packages and bursaries - making education affordable; and
- A wide range of certified qualifications that enhance your earning potential, delivering you return on investment.
I Have No Previous Qualifications
You don’t need any previous qualifications or ranking to study with the OU - you just need life experience, and something tells us you have a lot of it.
- Build upon your existing skills and talents to help achieve your future goals - whether that’s lifelong learning, career enhancement or resettlement;
- Expand your knowledge and follow your interests with a choice of more than 400 different modules; and
- Learn practical and transferable skills from industry experts and world leaders - increasing your performance and fueling your potential.
“The OU deserves huge credit for enabling me to do this. I doubt there is another institution anywhere that would have taken me from seven O-levels to LSE in five years whilst I was holding down a busy job stretching across the globe.” Mike Niblett
I’ve Never Written An Essay In My Life
We don’t care. With more than 50 years’ of teaching experience, we know how adults learn, and we know how to get the best from you - regardless of how good you think you are at studying.
- Your personal tutor will give you all of the academic guidance and feedback you need to get you back into study and achieving results;
- Our dedicated student support service is always on hand for professional advice on everything from learning methods and career guidance to module choices and IT support; and
- The worldwide OU student community provides support, networks and advice from people just like you.
I’m Not An Academic
You don’t have to study the history of art unless you want to. With more than 200 different qualifications to choose from, we’re here to help improve your skills, develop your knowledge and prepare you for a career in or out of the armed forces.
- Learn practical skills and applicable knowledge from industry-experienced tutors;
- Stretch yourself to achieve more, with an inspiring, challenging and rewarding educational experience; and
- Connect with other learners from different industries, backgrounds and networks - you never know where it will lead you.
“Having a BSc after my name definitely helped me to find a job - in fact I was headhunted by a gas turbine company, and I left the Navy on a Friday and started work on Monday.” Andy Murray
I Don’t Know Who To Study With
There are many distance education providers out there - but very few who have been doing it for as long or as well as we have. Take advantage of our 50 years’ experience, expert tutors and company partnerships for:
Resettlement - get ready to beat the competition and enter a rewarding career with a well-respected qualification.
Career advancement - prepare your knowledge and qualifications for your next position in the forces with our range of fully accredited courses.
Personal development - keep your mind active, knowledge up-to-date and interests interesting with our short courses, CPD workshops and postgraduate courses.
Dependents - take advantage of the same choice of courses, flexibility and expert teachers to enhance your own career and personal development.
Study with someone who’s been doing it longer and better than anyone else. Study with the OU.
Visitwww.open.ac.uk/forces for more information.