News

Turkey Rejects Ceasefire Proposal In Syria

President Recep Tayyip Erdogan has turned down US calls to halt attacks.

Turkish forces and members of the Turkish-backed Syrian National Army near the border town of Mabrouka (Picture: PA).

Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan has rejected calls from US President Donald Trump to declare a ceasefire and halt Turkey's cross-border offensive into Syria.

As the NATO nation enters an eighth day of attacks in the northern region, Mr Erdogan said Turkey "could never declare a ceasefire."

Turkey's leader also said he is unphased by the presence of Syrian government troops moving into the city of Manbij to support the Kurdish forces.

Turkey considers the Kurds, who form the majority of the Syrian Democratic Forces (SDF), terrorists.

Mr Trump announced plans for a ceasefire and issued a statement detailing new economic sanctions on Turkey in response to the offensive.

Mr Erdogan said "we cannot declare a ceasefire until we clear this region".

Turkey launched its offensive last Wednesday (Picture: PA).

US troops in the north of Syria had been ordered to leave the area amid the fighting before Mr Trump made a u-turn.

He confirmed the forces will "redeploy and remain in the region". 

The initial withdrawal of US troops from the north-east was swiftly followed by the Turkish offensive - in a move that was widely criticised. 

The UK has now joined other EU nations in suspending Turkish export licences for military items