US President Donald Trump has returned to the White House after leaving the military hospital where he has been receiving treatment for COVID-19.
The president was injected with an experimental antibody cocktail before being taken to Walter Reed National Military Medical Center in Maryland on Friday.
Landing back at the White House on Marine One on Monday, Mr Trump climbed the South Portico steps, removed his mask and declared: "I feel good."
Aides had arranged a display of American flags as a backdrop for the occasion.
He gave a double thumbs-up to the departing helicopter from the terrace, and entered the White House, without wearing a face covering.
Mr Trump indicated he will not be kept from campaigning for long, tweeting before leaving the hospital: "Will be back on the Campaign Trail soon!!!"
He declared, despite his illness, the nation should not fear the virus that has killed more than 210,000 Americans.
The president left Walter Reed National Military Medical Center, where his doctor, Navy Commander Sean Conley, said the president remains contagious and would not be fully "out of the woods" for another week, but that Mr Trump had met or exceeded standards for discharge from the hospital.
The president is expected to continue his recovery at the White House.
Mr Trump’s message about COVID-19 has alarmed infectious disease experts and suggested the president’s own illness had not caused him to rethink his attitude toward the disease, which has also infected the first lady and several White House aides, including new cases revealed on Monday.
"We have to be realistic in this: COVID is a complete threat to the American population," said Dr David Nace of the University of Pittsburgh Medical Centre.
Dr Sadiya Khan of Northwestern University Feinberg School of Medicine said: "It’s an unconscionable message.
"I would go so far as to say that it may precipitate or worsen spread."
There has been political pushback to Mr Trump’s attitude towards the virus as well.
Republican Senator John Cornyn told the Houston Chronicle editorial board that Trump had "let his guard down" in his effort to show the country was moving beyond the virus and had created "confusion" about how to stay safe.
Just a month before the presidential election, Mr Trump’s revelation that he tested positive for the virus came via a tweet after he had returned from a political fundraiser.
Press secretary Kayleigh McEnany announced she had tested positive for the virus on Monday morning and was entering quarantine.
Mr Trump’s discharge has raised new questions on how the administration is going to protect other officials from the disease.
Cover image: Mr Trump gives a double thumbs-up after arriving back at the White House (Picture: PA).