Trump Kim handshake

Kim Jong-un and President Trump shake hands during their meeting in Singapore. (Picture: PA).

US President Donald Trump has declared: "There is no longer a nuclear threat from North Korea," as he returned to Washington after his historic summit with Kim Jong-un in Singapore.

Mr Trump wrote on Twitter that "everybody can now feel much safer than the day I took office" following his ground-breaking talks with the North Korean leader.

He said that before he took office, "people were assuming that we were going to War [sic] with North Korea", and claimed his predecessor in the White House, Barack Obama, said North Korea was the nation's biggest problem.

The US President described meeting the North Korean leader as "an interesting and very positive experience".

He continued: "President Obama said that North Korea was our biggest and most dangerous problem."

"No longer - sleep well tonight!"

"We save a fortune by not doing war games, as long as we are negotiating in good faith - which both sides are!"

The US President's comments come despite few guarantees emerging from the Singapore meeting on how and when Pyongyang would disarm.

Mr Trump and Mr Kim signed an agreement to work toward denuclearisation, but it appears weaker than past international deals which failed.

North Korean missile launch 2017
Independent experts estimate North Korea now has enough material as many as 20 bombs, and that it has tested missiles that could potentially deliver a nuclear weapon to the US mainland. (Picture: PA).

The US President insisted that strong verification of denuclearisation would be included in a final agreement, saying it was a detail his team would begin sorting out with the North Koreans next week.

The Singapore agreement does not detail plans for North Korea to demolish a missile engine testing site - a concession Mr Trump said he had won, nor Mr Trump's promise to end military exercises in the South while negotiations between the US and the North continue.

President Trump cast that decision as a cost-saving measure, but also called the exercises "inappropriate" while talks continue.

US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo says joint US-South Korean military exercises will resume if North Korea stops negotiating in good faith over its nuclear programme.

Mr Pompeo is in South Korea a day after US president Donald Trump met with Kim Jong-un and announced the US would freeze what he called "war games" with the South.

Mike Pompeo South Korea arrival
US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo arrived at Osan Air Base earlier on Wednesday. (Picture: US Department of Defense).

The Secretary of State said Mr Trump "made very clear" that the condition for the freeze was that good-faith talks should continue.

Mr Pompeo said if the US concludes they no longer are in good faith, the freeze "will no longer be in effect".

The US Secretary of State said Mr Trump was "unambiguous" in conveying that to Mr Kim.

Topics: