Hit American sitcom, Gomer Pyle U.S.M.C is now showing on Forces TV.
First airing in September 1964 and running for five years, the military-themed quips and capers still strike a chord.
Here’s our quick guide to who’s who and what’s what:
1. The main character, Gomer Pyle, worked as a gas-station attendant before enlisting into the United States Marine Corps.
2. The US Marine Corps’ real Camp Pendleton in California was the film location for the show's on-screen base, ‘Camp Henderson’.
3. Gunnery Sergeant Vince Carter is the task master who puts the loveable Gomer Pyle and fellow recruits through their paces on (and off) the drill square.
4. Gomer Pyle had his own set of catchphrases and exclamations, including ‘Shazam!’ – still in use today.
5. Genuine US military kit and equipment was used for the filming of the series.
6. Jim Nabors, the actor who starred as Gomer Pyle, was made an honorary Marine and his character was promoted to Corporal in 2007.
7. Gomer Pyle first appeared on the Andy Griffith Show in 1962, the character was reprised for several movies including Cannonball Run II and is referenced in Stanley Kubrick's Full Metal Jacket.
8. Recruits in the US Marine Corps who need additional training or keep messing up are nicknamed 'Gomer Pyle's.
Watch Gomer Pyle U.S.M.C on Forces TV at 11am (UK) weekdays and 7.30pm (UK) weekdays from Monday 6th February.