It's Christmas, and Forces Network has asked some military chefs for their top festive tips.
In this instalment, we look at everyone's favourite festive treat, the mince pie, with Private Connor Dugan of 4 SCOTS.
For this festive treat, you will need:
- A teaspoon of mixed spice
- 1 chopped up Bramley apple
- Vanilla essence
- 4 tablespoons of brandy
- 1 zested lemon
- 1 lemon juiced
- 1 zested orange
- 1 orange juiced
- Suite paste
- 150g of plain white flour
- 50g of icing sugar
- 100g of butter
- 2 egg yolks
- Place all of the ingredients into a large mixing bowl and mix, squeeze and press together, until it forms a sticky paste.
- Take the mixed ingredients out and place into an airtight container and leave in the fridge overnight.
- Mix the butter and flour until it becomes a breadcrumb texture.
- Add two egg yolks.
- Add water - a few drops at a time, until the pastry binds together.
- Place on a work surface and roll the pastry out into the thickness of an old one pound coin.
- Then take two pastry cutter, one slightly bigger than the other.
- Take your larger pastry disks and place them into the moulds, making sure to push them down right to the corners.
- Fill the pastry cases with the mince you made earlier - if it's office mess standard - fill to the brim!
- Take the smaller pastry disk and place on top. Egg wash the lids with the beaten egg mixture.
- Place in the fridge for 25 minutes to rest.
- Pre-heat the oven to 180°C.
- Cook for 20-25 minutes.
And there you have it, the perfect mince pie!