In the run-up to Christmas, Forces Network has been giving cooking advice from forces culinary experts.
In the last instalment of the series, we look at how to make that perfect centre-piece, the turkey, with Leading Chef Stevie Stokoe on HMS Raleigh.
How to cook that perfect turkey... Royal Navy style:
1. Defrost the turkey 24 hours before you want to cook it.
2. Turn oven to 220 Celsius.
3. Remove giblets, wishbone and the wings too - you can use these for your gravy. Place bird in a tray on top of chopped root vegetables.
4. Place half a lemon, half an orange, two bay leaves, bunch of thyme and parsley in the cavity. Squeeze half an orange over the top of the turkey.
5. Cover the bird with olive oil and then tin foil.
6. Place in oven, turn down to 180 Celsius and baste it every 20-30 minutes (cook the bird for 20 minutes for every 500 grams).
7. After some time, check the juices are running clear from the deepest part of the thigh. Rest under two or three layers of foil for at least an hour and then serve!