It might not be the families' favourite, but the military has come up with the ultimate way of getting everyone interested in Brussel sprouts.
Corporal Danielle Trunzo from 3 Mobile Catering Squadron at RAF Wittering has been spreading goodwill by sharing her festive recipe of sprouts, bacon and onions.
- Brussel sprouts
- Streaky bacon
- Onions (white onions, shallots or red onions)
- Squeezy sweet honey
- Salt and pepper for seasoning
- Blanch your Brussel sprouts the night before and leave in a container.
- Dice the onions.
- Heat a large frying pan with oil, add the onions and fry for around two minutes. During this time you can cut your rashes of streaky bacon into bite-sized pieces.
- Add the bacon to the same pan (optional: add chestnuts or hazelnuts!).
- Take the sprouts you blanched the night before, cut them into halves and add to a separate pan - for seasoning add salt and pepper to taste.
- Transfer the onions and bacon into the pan with the sprouts.
- Add a drizzling of sweet honey and mix together.
- Simmer and stir until the ingredients start to stick together.
- Serve up and enjoy!
In just nine simple steps you could get the whole family 'sprouting success' for this side dish at Christmas.