98-year-old Peter Gouldstone was attacked during a robbery at his home. (Picture: Metropolitan Police).
A Second World War veteran who was seriously injured during a violent robbery in his home has died.
Peter Gouldstone had been left badly hurt following the attack in north London on November 6.
The 98-year-old, who suffered severe injuries including two bleeds to the brain and extensive bruising on his body, died in hospital in the early hours of Friday November 30.
No arrests have been made, but the Metropolitan Police said "a number of active enquiries are in hand".
Detective Inspector Paul Ridley said: "We are all shocked and saddened by the news of Peter's death. It is the worst news for his family and for all those who cared for and knew him."
"I urge anyone who has information, no matter how small a detail, to search their conscience and contact police without delay"
His son, former civil servant Simon Gouldstone, 67, said following the attack and before his father's death that he had been left "shocked".
He told reporters his father had worked on phone lines in Italy during the Second World War before going on to a career at the Post Office and retiring around 1980.
A £10,000 reward offered by Crimestoppers - matched by The Sun - for information leading to the arrest and conviction of those responsible for the attack remains in place.