The Queen was unable to attend the Remembrance Sunday service at the Cenotaph in London after spraining her back, Buckingham Palace has said, adding she was "disappointed" to miss the event.
Buckingham Palace had previously said the 95-year-old monarch would attend, following time away from duties.
Her Majesty was ordered to rest by Royal doctors almost four weeks ago, and spent a night in hospital on 20 October undergoing preliminary tests.
- How Armistice Day was commemorated
- RBL releases plans for 40th Falklands War commemoration
- Queen to attend national Remembrance Sunday service but miss another event
She returned to Windsor Castle on Tuesday after a long-planned weekend away at her Sandringham estate in Norfolk.
A wreath was laid on Her Majesty’s behalf by The Prince of Wales.
The Queen lived through the Second World War as a teenager and is head of the Armed Forces.
Her Majesty attaches great importance to the poignant service and to commemorating the sacrifices made by fallen servicemen and women.
The Queen has only missed six other Cenotaph ceremonies during her reign: on four occasions when she was on overseas visits to Ghana in 1961, Brazil in 1968, Kenya in 1983 and South Africa in 1999.
She was not present during the 1959 and 1963 services as she was pregnant with her two youngest children.