Prince Philip

Prince Philip's Funeral: Military Plays Leading Role As Duke Laid To Rest At Windsor

The Duke of Edinburgh has been laid to rest after a funeral service at Windsor Castle. 

Prince Philip was interred in the Royal Vault of St George's Chapel.

The Duke, who served in the Royal Navy during the Second World War, died on 9 April aged 99.

His life and legacy were remembered during the service that reflected his naval career, passion for engineering and dedication to the Queen.

Due to coronavirus restrictions, only 30 people were able to attend. The original plan envisioned 800 guests.

Among those in attendance were the Queen, her four children and their spouses, plus the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and Duke of Sussex.

The Duchess of Sussex did not attend and remained in California where the couple now live because she is heavily pregnant and was advised not to fly. 

More than 730 members of the military took part in the funeral service.

The Land Rover hearse vehicle was flanked by Pall Bearers drawn from military units that the Duke had a special relationship with (Picture: MOD).
The Land Rover hearse was flanked by pall bearers drawn from military units that the Duke had a special relationship with (Picture: MOD).

Soldiers from the King's Troop Royal Horse Artillery fired a round to mark the start and end of a national minute's silence for the Duke. 

Prince Philip's coffin was dressed with his personal standard, a wreath of flowers and his naval cap and sword.

The coffin was moved to the State Entrance of Windsor Castle by a Bearer Party of The Queen's Company, 1st Battalion Grenadier Guards.

The Duke helped to design the modified Land Rover which then transported his body to St George's Chapel.

Detachments of service personnel from the military units that Prince Philip had a special relationship with stood on the grass of the castle's quadrangle. 

The area was also lined by the Household Cavalry and the Foot Guards.

The Band of the Grenadier Guards, of which Prince Philip was Colonel for 42 years, led the procession to St George's Chapel, followed by the Major General's Party, and then the service chiefs.

WATCH: Gun salutes were fired across the UK to mark a national minute's silence for the Duke of Edinburgh.

The procession was lined by representatives drawn from the Royal Navy, Royal Marines, Highlanders, 4th Battalion Royal Regiment of Scotland and the Royal Air Force.

A Guard of Honour and Band from The Rifles received the coffin at the foot of the west steps, with the national anthem being played as the coffin entered Horseshoe Cloister.

In tribute to Prince Philip's naval service, a Royal Naval Piping Party of one Chief Petty Officer and five Ratings played the 'Still' once the Land Rover reached the foot of the steps.

A bearing party of Royal Marines carried the coffin up the steps, pausing for the national minute's silence, before the Archbishop of Canterbury and the Dean of Windsor received the coffin.

The Dean of Windsor gave the commendation as Prince Philip's coffin was lowered into the Royal Vault, before a lament was played by a Pipe Major of the Royal Regiment of Scotland and The Last Post was sounded by buglers of the Royal Marines.

After a period of silence, the Reveille was sounded by the State Trumpeters of the Household Cavalry from the west end of the Nave.

At the request of the Duke, the buglers of the Royal Marines sounded Action Stations.

The Archbishop of Canterbury pronounced the Blessing before a rendition of the national anthem, to mark the end of the service.

The Queen and others attending the service in person left the chapel via the Galilee Porch, having bid farewell to the nation's longest-serving consort.

Cover image: Marines carry the Duke of Edinburgh's coffin into St George’s Chapel, Windsor (Picture: MOD).