The National Security Council will look at the conditions of Huawei being involved in the UK’s 5G rollout, a Cabinet minister has confirmed.
Health Secretary Matt Hancock said the National Security Council will “look at those conditions and make the right decision”, after reports the UK could end the use of the Chinese technology giant in its 5G network.
Mr Hancock did not deny that the Government is set to do a U-turn on Huawei’s involvement.
There have been fears that the Chinese state could put pressure on Huawei to share information on the UK.
Newspapers have suggested Prime Minister Boris Johnson is set to strike a major policy change after GCHQ is believed to have reassessed the risks posed by the firm.
The Sunday Telegraph reported the GCHQ's National Cyber Security Centre has produced a report concluding US intellectual property sanctions on the company will force it to use "untrusted" technology.
The newspaper stated that officials are crafting proposals to prevent new Huawei equipment being installed in the 5G network in as little as six months.
Speaking on Sky News, Mr Hancock said: “I wouldn’t comment on leaks of that kind.
“What I can say though, is that when we came out with an interim report on this earlier in the year, there were a number of conditions that needed to be met.
“So I’m sure that the National Security Council will look at those conditions and make the right decision on this to make sure that we have both a very strong telecoms infrastructure… but also that it is secure."
The Prime Minister’s decision to allow Huawei a limited roll in Britain’s 5G network has been the topic of security debate within the UK and Washington DC.
In January, the Government said it will be banning “high-risk vendors” from sensitive parts of the UK’s 5G networks, including access to “sensitive geographic locations” such as military bases and nuclear sites.
Huawei has always denied it would pose any security risk.
Cover image: PA.