D-Day: Lone Piper Marks Exact Time First British Soldier Landed On Normandy Beach

He played in memory of the minute D-Day invasions began.

Hundreds of D-Day veterans gathered in Normandy to commemorate their fallen comrades.

Events began at 06:25 BST, with the tradition of a lone piper playing a lament on the remaining Mulberry artificial harbour in the town, named Port Winston.

The lament signals the time at which the first British soldier stepped onto Gold Beach at the beginning of the D-Day landings.

It was played by Piper Major Trevor Macey-Lillie, of 19th Regiment Royal Artillery (The Scottish Gunners).

He played 'Highland Laddie', a tune based on a poem by Robert Burns.

"That was nerve-wracking to do but I feel very proud and it was a privilege to do it," said Piper Major Macey-Lille after his performance.

lone piper 060619 CREDIT MOD.jpg
Piper Major Trevor Macey-Lillie played Highland Laddie, a tune based on a poem by Robert Burns (Picture: MOD).

Nearby, in the town of Arromanches, around 300 veterans have gathered to commemorate their fallen comrades.

It was partly a tribute to Private Bill Millin, who played the bagpipes as he made his way onto the Normandy shoreline on 6 June 1944.

He had been ordered by Brigadier Simon Fraser, 15th Lord Lovat, commander of 1 Special Service Brigade, to be at his side for the invasion.

That was despite a ban on pipers being at the front line after so many lives had been lost on the battlefield during the First World War.

With no weapon but a knife in his sock, the piper walked up and down the shoreline playing 'Highland Laddie', but was never shot.

Normandy sunrise on D-Day 75

Mulberry Harbour

The temporary structure, just off Arromanches, was the solution to bringing in supplies on the exposed Normandy coast.

It was made out of pre-fabricated floating blocks of concrete linked together.

Ten miles of floating roadway allowed the allies to transport 2,500,000 men, 500,000 vehicles and 4,000,000 tonnes of supplies through Mulberry.

It continued to work for nearly a year after D-Day, having been designed to work for just three months.

It became known as Port Winston - after then-Prime Minister Winston Churchill - and its remains today stand testament to its achievement.

Many consider it one of the finest examples of military engineering.