The two leaders met during a summit in June (Image: PA)
Donald Trump has received a request from North Korean leader Kim Jong Un for a follow-up to their historic June summit, and planning is in underway to make it happen.
White House press secretary Sarah Huckabee Sanders said no details had been finalised, but the US president had received a letter from Mr Kim which she described as "very warm, very positive".
The White House will not release the full letter unless Mr Kim agrees it can be made public.
Ms Sanders said:
"The primary purpose of the letter was to request and look to schedule another meeting with the president, which we are open to and are already in the process of co-ordinating that."
She cited the letter as "further evidence of progress" in relations between the leaders.
Relations between the two leaders have seemed to ebb and flow since Mr Trump became the first sitting US president to meet a North Korean leader.
Their historic one-day summit in June in Singapore was held to discuss denuclearising the Korean peninsula, and Mr Trump emerged from their talks full of praise for the authoritarian Mr Kim.
Mr Trump recently called off a planned visit by secretary of state Mike Pompeo to North Korea, citinglack of progress towards eliminating its nuclear arsenal.
But on Sunday the president offered fresh praise for Mr Kim following a North Korean military parade that, unlike past events, downplayed the missiles and nuclear weapons that brought North Korea to the brink of military conflict with the US just a year ago.
"This is a big and very positive statement from North Korea," Mr Trump tweeted on Sunday about the parade.
Ms Sanders also cited the parade, saying: "The recent parade in North Korea, for once, was not about their nuclear arsenal," characterising the event as "a sign of good faith".
Mr Trump, she said, had achieved "tremendous success" with his policies so far towards North Korea "and this letter was further evidence of progress in that relationship".
In August, the remains of dozens of presumed American war dead were returned to US soil after they were handed over by North Korea.
The US military believes the bones are those of American servicemen and potentially servicemen from other United Nations member countries who fought alongside the US on behalf of South Korea during the Korean War.