Cyprus

Coronavirus: British Forces Cyprus To Ease Lockdown Measures

Nine members of the British Forces Cyprus community have tested positive for coronavirus.

British Forces Cyprus is to begin easing coronavirus measures after more than five weeks of lockdown.

The lifting of the restrictions, which comes into force next Monday, follows those made by the Republic of Cyprus on Wednesday. 

It will see some businesses on the island being allowed to reopen, including construction companies and retail shops.

However, shopping centres and large stores will remain closed.

Major General Rob Thomson, Commander British Forces Cyprus, said: "We have been very successful so far in limiting the spread of this virus and this is not the time to drop our guard.

"We must remain vigilant and continue to respect social distancing and all the movement restriction measures that remain in place."

So far, nine members of the British Forces Cyprus community have tested positive for COVID-19.

All individuals have since fully recovered.

Speaking on Wednesday, Cyprus President Nicos Anastasiades said restrictions on movement will not be lifted until 21 May.

More than 840 people have been diagnosed with coronavirus on the island which is home to nearly 6,000 British military personnel and their dependents.

Cover image: The entrance to RAF Akrotiri in Cyprus (Picture: PA).