MoD Housing Key

Armed Forces Personnel In Long Term Relationships Now Able To Apply For Service Housing

Want to know how to register a long-term relationship in the Armed Forces?

MoD Housing Key

Personnel in long-term relationships can now apply for surplus housing, under new co-habitation rules and working arrangements.

If you have served for four years or more and can prove you have been in a long term relationship for more than 12 months, then you could be eligible to apply to cohabit with your partner in surplus Service Family Accommodation (SFA).

Personnel no longer need to be married to apply for surplus Service Family Accommodation (SFA), the policy has also been extended to same-sex couples.

Previously, only married couples, those in civil partnerships and those with legally dependent children could live in SFA. 

It is hoped it will help when there is a change in personal circumstances, for example, having to care for young children or elderly relatives or to enter further education.

Service Housing will no longer be allocated according to the rank of the individual, but instead will focus on the size of the family and making sure that houses are fit for purpose.

Here Is How To Apply …

Service Personnel eligible to cohabit won’t hold entitlement to SFA and so, if there is no surplus SFA at their place of work (i.e. within 50 miles of their posting location), they won’t be able to access SFA.

Service Personnel with PStatCat2 – primary parental responsibility – can also apply in accordance with this policy.

What is cohabitation?

The MOD defines cohabitation as a Service Personnel living with their partner, who is not their legal spouse or civil partner, in an LTR.

What is classed as a long-term relationship (LTR)?

You will need to provide evidence of your relationship of 12 months or more when you apply...

MOD Application

You will require three of the following items as evidence:

  • Mortgage or tenancy documents showing joint ownership or rental of a property.
  • A birth certificate of a natural child showing the names of both partners.
  • Proof of adoption of a child showing the names of both partners.
  • Proof of joint responsibility for a child.
  • Joint bank account.
  • Proof of financial support to the other partner, including the transfer of funds home to a partner overseas (i.e. for Foreign & Commonwealth families).
  • Proof that both partners' names are on the Electoral Roll at a shared address.
  • A Council Tax bill for the same property in joint names.
  • Loan documentation of major assets such as homes, cars or major appliances in both partners’ names.
  • Utility bills in both names.
  • Life Insurance that shows a partner as the beneficiary.
  • Two separate utility bills (one in each individual’s name) that evidences the same address.

Thanks to RAF HIVE

More information can be found in JSP 464 Tri-Service Accommodation Regulations and Directive