WWI

Solved and Saved: The Dorset Prisoner Of War Grave Marker Mystery

For the centenary of the end of the First World War, the Blandford Garrison had been tasked with refurbishing a century old POW grave marker...

Mechanics and welders at Blandford Camp have been using their skills on something other than the usual Land Rover or MAN truck.

For the centenary of the end of the First World War, the Garrison has been tasked with refurbishing a century old prisoner of war grave marker from a nearby village.

That seemed easy enough – until the Light Aid Detachment discovered something they weren’t expecting.

The grave originally marked four German soldiers who died as Prisoners of War when the Spanish Flu pandemic hit Blandford Camp.

As they started to strip back the metal work to get it ready for repainting, they discovered underneath the top layer of paint the faint outline of a local name and some dates from the 19th century.

Four wooded crosses

Work stopped temporarily to investigate this new discovery.

The mystery was solved as it was discovered the grave marker for the original name had been replaced with a headstone and was no longer required.

The Light Aid Detachment (REME) team at the nearby Garrison refurbished the iron cross and made four new metal crosses - leading to an opportunity for residents and members of the Armed Forces from the UK and Germany to come together for a service of rededication in this special year of remembrance.

Watch the dedication ceremony in full below:

Live from Tarrant Monkton - the rededication of the grave marker and crosses for the four unknown German soldiers who died as POWs in 1918.

Posted by BFBS Blandford on Monday, 12 November 2018