2. For the purpose of the Data Protection Act 1998,The Services Sound and Vision Corporation ("We", "Us" "Our") will be the data controller in respect of any personal data that you submit to us or that we collect from you when you using our website or when you enter one of our competitions irrespective of the method that you choose to submit your entry. We are a private company limited by guarantee and a UK registered charity. Our registered charity number is 233480 and our company registration number is 407270. Our registered office is at Chalfont Grove, Narcot Lane, Chalfont St Peter, Buckinghamshire, SL9 8TN. For more information about us please visit the about us page on our website.
The Services Sound and Vision Corporation
Chalfont St Peter
The information that we collect from you
4. We will collect the information that you provide to us when you submit an entry into any competitions that we are running either on our website or via any of our broadcast services including our radio or television channels or through any social media websites that we use to announce our competitions such as Facebook or Twitter. This information may vary depending on the type of competition but will often include your name, age, gender, home address, email address and telephone number. We will use this information to administer the competition you have entered including to contact you if you have won a prize. We may also need to share this information with any third parties who are providing any prizes or other products and services as part of the competition but we will not share this information with third parties for marketing purposes.
5. We will collect any information contained in any correspondence between you and us. For example, if you contact us, we may keep a record of that correspondence. We may also ask you for information when you report a problem with our website or any content or services made available through it.
6. We do not collect, store or use any personal information contained in any messages posted on our website. Please note that any materials or information that you post to our website may be visible to other users of the site. We advise you to be selective about what information you post on the website. For more information please visit www.gov.uk/think-before-you-share.
Use of your information
a. to ensure that content from the website is presented in the most effective manner for you and for your computer;
b. to send you general (non-marketing) commercial communications, such as information about the website and services provided to you by us at that time;
c. to provide customer service in relation to your use of the website, to contact you, to deal with enquiries and complaints relating to the use of the website and to notify
you about changes to our services;
d. to develop, improve and personalise the website so as to improve your user browsing experience; and
e. to provide third parties with statistical information about our users but this information will not be able to be used to identify any individual user.
Disclosure of your information
11. We may disclose your personal information to:
a. any third party to whom disclosure is necessary to enable us to provide you with any services or products that you have requested through the site including any of our
competition prizes which may be provided by such third parties; and/or
b. any person to whom disclosure is necessary to enable us to enforce our legal rights, or to protect the rights, property or safety of The Services Sound and Vision
Corporation or our members or employees or the safety or security of any member of the UK’s armed forces or their family or supporters or where such disclosure may
be required by law.
12. You should note that the public elements of the website, such as the BFBS radio message board, will be visible to other users of the website anywhere in the world. You should therefore be careful when submitting information about yourself and only submit information that you are happy to be public information.
14. Some cookies that we use are necessary for our websites to function properly and to enable you to move around the site and use its features. In addition we also use so called “functional” cookies that allow our websites to remember choices you have made in relation to the websites so as to provide a more personalised and enhanced user experience.
15. As mentioned above, we may also use an analytics service provider for websites traffic analysis and reporting. Analytics service providers generate statistical and other information about websites use by means of cookies, which are stored on users' computers. The information generated relating to the websites may be used to create reports about the use of the websites and the analytics service provider will store this information.
Third party content, websites and contributors
17. Our websites may contain content and links to other websites and microsites that are operated by third parties. In addition, advertisements contained on our websites may operate as links to that advertiser’s websites, and such advertisers and third parties may also use and place cookies on your computer.
Security and data retention
19. We employ appropriate technological and operational security measures to protect against any unauthorised access to or any unlawful processing of any personal information about you that we hold. We will retain your information for a reasonable period or as long as the law requires or permits.
20. Data transmission over the internet is inherently insecure, and although we employ appropriate technological and organisational security measures to protect your data we cannot guarantee the security of any data sent over the internet.
International data transfers
21. Our servers are situated in the UK, however we collect data from wherever users are situated. The information that we collect will therefore be transferred to the UK from any other country in which you may be located and will be subject to UK data protection laws rather than the laws of the country in which you are resident.
22. We do not transfer personal data collected via our websites or through any competitions we run outside the European Economic Area (unless you have consented; it is necessary to provide the services you have requested; or it is otherwise required or permitted by law).
23. You are entitled to know what personal data we hold about you and you may ask us to make any necessary changes to ensure that it is accurate and kept up to date. If you wish to do this, please contact us using the contact information provided in section 1 above. We are entitled by law to charge a fee of £10 to meet our costs in providing you with details of the information we hold about you and we may also require you to provide us with appropriate identification.