Previous Attack in Kabul

A record number of Afghan civilians have been killed during the first six months of this year, the UN has announced.

Its report blamed Taliban insurgents for most of the deaths.

According to the report, 1,662 civilians were killed in the first six months of this year with 40% dying as a result of suicide bombings, IEDs and pressure-plate devices.

UN High Commissioner for Human Rights Zeid Ra'ad Al Hussein called the numbers "horrifying".

He said: "they can never fully convey the sheer human suffering of the people of Afghanistan".

"Each one of these casualty figures reflects a broken family, unimaginable trauma and suffering and the brutal violation of people's human rights."

More Figures from the Report

  • A truck bomb in the centre of Kabul on May 31, which killed at least 90 people, was the deadliest attack.
  • Insurgent attacks killed 1,141 civilians, 12% more than the same period last year.
  • More women and children died this year, a 2% rise from the same period last year.
  • 434 civilians were killed during military operations against insurgents.

General Dowlat Waziri, a defence ministry spokesman, said:

"The army is being very careful during operations to prevent civilian deaths.”

The report commended Afghanistan's security forces, highlighting that fewer civilians died as a result of the army/police compared to last year.

Topics: